5095 4th Street
Eagle River, Michigan 49950


Keweenaw County Board of Commissioners
5095 4th Street
Eagle River, Michigan 49950

County Commissioners

The Board consists of five members elected every two years.
Terms Expire: December 31, 2020

District 1
Don Piche, Chairman (D)
5871 Montgomery Point Road
Mohawk, MI 49950
  District 4
Robert Demarois, (D)
PO Box 122
Ahmeek, MI 49901
District 2
James Vivian, Jr. (NPA)
7318 Agent Road
Mohawk, MI 49950
  District 5
Sandra Gayk, Vice-Chair (D)
353 7th Street
Allouez, MI 49805
District 3
Del Rajala (R)
PO Box 458
Mohawk,  MI 49950

Commission Meetings
All other meetings (unless otherwise posted) will be held at:

Keweenaw County Courthouse
5095 4th Street
Eagle River, Michigan 49950

Third Wednesday of each month at 6:30 pm

The Keweenaw County Board of Commissioners is the chief policy making body of County government and is also involved in certain administrative activities. The main responsibility of a legislative body is to critically evaluate the proposals for change from the status quo to a  path of continual improvement.

An important dimension of the Board involves the oversight function: inquiring into the affairs and activities of the various County agencies, assessing their performance, and providing new policy direction or problem solving assistance.

Services Provided

  • Develop and adopt a responsible annual County government budget.
  • Insure checks and balances in all legal and financial transactions by monitoring County
    expenditures and receiving and settling claims against the County.
  • Audit monthly bills as required by statute.
  • Adopt equalization of tax assessments throughout the County.
  • Appoint a County Administrator, members of Boards and commissions; hire competent, qualified people and provide opportunities for employee development and advancement.
  • Formulate personnel policies and procedures for a number of County departments, jointly with elected officials where applicable, to provide a quality work environment for all county employees.
  • Establish compensation of all elected and appointed officials, as well as other employees according to statutory authority.
  • Promote procedures in county offices that will best protect and serve all the citizens of
    Keweenaw County.
  • Review and adopt grants.
  • Promote programs which will improve the health, welfare and safety of the residents of our community and our employees.
  • Authorize new programs, or terminate existing ones.
  • Engage in long range planning to provide for necessary facilities and equipment for County government operation, and for the maintenance of such facilities and equipment, services and programs as deemed necessary for the benefit of the citizens of Keweenaw County.
  • Provide for County participation in several multi-County human service and regional planning programs, recognizing the special needs and the problems of the youth, elderly, handicapped, underprivileged and addicted.
  • Assist local units of government, through intergovernmental contracts, in areas of public
    works, human services, law enforcement, etc., and sometimes granting the full faith and credit of the County to secure borrowing for local projects.
  • Continue efforts, though economic development and other available agencies, to maintain and increase employment opportunities in Keweenaw County and the Copper Country area.
  • Encourage citizen participation in county government.

Commissioner Appointments

911 Rajala
Brownfield Redevelopment Authority Chase
Building and Grounds Piche
Building Codes Piche
Community Action Piche
Community Mental Health Gayk
Economic Development Committee Piche
Finance & Budget -- Courthouse Piche
Freedom of Information Carlson
Grants Gayk
Head Start BHK Program Demarois
Historic Highway Scenic Byway Trails Comm. Demarois
Houghton-Keweenaw Conservation District Gayk
Human Services Piche
Keweenaw Economic Development Ahlborn
NorthCare Eckloff
Planning Commission Vivian
Road Commission Piche
Tri-County Community Corrections Rajala
U.P. Fair Authority Langdon
U.P. Commission on Area Progress (UPCAP) Gayk
U.P. Legislative Review Committee Gayk
UPWARD Talent Council Vivian/Rajala
Veterans Affairs Committee Rajala
Western U.P. Health Department Rajala/Demarois
Western U.P. Planning & Regional Development Board (WUPPDR) Gayk/Vivian

Frequently Asked Questions

How can I express an opinion or relevant concern I may have to County Commissioners?
Commissioners always welcome input from constituents. There are a number of ways for citizens to communicate with their commissioners. Contact information, including phone numbers, mailing addresses and e-mail addresses are listed on this webpage. You can also leave a message with the County Clerk's office at 906 337-2229.

How do I recommend something to be considered before the Board?
Contact the County Clerk or your commissioner direct to request action at Board meetings.

Are meeting agendas available?
Yes, you can find them posted on the door to the County Courthouse.

How do I find out what actions were taken at a BOC meeting?
Minutes are posted on the BOC web page. You also can contact the County Clerk's Office (337-2229) for information.

How does one become a County Commissioner?
To qualify, candidates must be registered voters, must be U.S. citizens, at least 18 years of age, and a Keweenaw County resident of the district they propose to represent. The County Clerk's Office prepares informational packets for prospective candidates for public office in election years. You may contact the Clerk's Office for more details on the process involved in running for elected office.

What does a Commissioner do?
Please see the Agendas and Minutes to get an overall sense of what kinds of current and past topics discussed in meetings. An excellent publication that offers more detail: Guide to Michigan County Government by Kenneth VerBurg, a copy of which is available at the Keweenaw County Courthouse; also the Michigan State laws at

How are districts determined?
Districts change every 10 years as new census figures are calculated, and change in order to accommodate changing population patterns. We attempt to keep approximately the same number of people in each district.

Who do I call about roads?
For maintenance issues related to state or county roads, contact the Keweenaw County Road Commission. You can phone the Road Commission at 906 337-1610. For questions or issues related to a township or village street, contact your local community. If you're not sure who has jurisdiction over a particular road, contact the Road Commission and you will be directed to the appropriate authority.



HOME | Keweenaw County | Offices & Departments | Commissions | Township Officials | Meetings & Minutes | Calendar & News | Links | Contact Us